ALA maintains full involvement in regulatory standards, code development and legislation involving lighting and ceiling fans in the United States and Canada.
ALA remains alert and responsive to technical issues impacting the lighting industry, including the development of smart, connected lighting and ceiling fan products; the proper application of good lighting solutions with energy-efficient products; and the development and promotion of lighting safety and performance standards. In 2021, ALA will strengthen relationships with associations that are involved in the IoT industry
ALA is closely following the development of residential connected lighting, especially as it becomes a part of the Internet of Things (IoT) and is integrated into systems used in connected homes including light sources, controls and other systems products. ALA is working to help member manufacturers, specifiers and retailers learn about the necessary technology by gathering and sharing information and incorporating such information into the new and expanded ALA lighting education/training programs, as well as through the ALA Engineering Committee and member communications. To support these efforts, ALA will:
- Specifically identify, follow and report on the standards and technical issues impacting the ceiling fan industry
- Be proactive with efforts to maintain the harmonization of lighting safety and performance standards, as well as lighting codes in the United States and Canada
- Work effectively as a participant in the writing of the 2021 Edition of the National Electrical Code (NEC), as well as the revisions of the Canadian Electrical Code (CSA C22.1, No. 0)
- Continue to participate in and support the developmental efforts of ANSI/NEMA C-137 Lighting Systems Committee and the writing of system standards
- Together with organizational partners UL and the CEE, conduct and promote the Lighting and Homes for Tomorrow program.
To learn more about ALA’s technology and engineering efforts and activities throughout the year, visit ALAMembers.com/More-Resources/Engineering-Technology.
Product Data Standard
Set up common reporting standards for exchanging lighting product data such as product volume and the listing of features such as sizing and packaging. Plans for 2021 include:
- Promote the approved ALA Data Standard for the lighting industry to use in exchanging item data information
- Research enhancing the ALA Data Standard due to advances in LED technology
Government Engagement and Political Action
ALA supports members regarding regulatory and legislative actions at all levels of government, throughout the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. Some of ALA’s key government engagement goals for 2021 include:
- Advocate for ALA’s policy priorities to new audiences in Washington D.C.
- Address the growing regulatory and legislative challenges from emerging government entities
- Expand ALA’s government engagement efforts through partnerships with like-minded alliances and organizations
- Communicate to members how government actions impact business operations
- Strengthen member grassroots involvement in support of ALA’s political priorities
- Work to aid members dealing with and recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Fight to rollback tariffs levied against lighting products and prevent the issuance of additional tariffs
BACK TO ACTION AGENDA HOMEPAGE